Tenure track Position at the Department of Biological and Environmental Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Shizuoka University, Japan
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, Faculty of Agriculture of Shizuoka University is inviting applications for five year tenure track assistant professor position with financial support for research. Aimed at development of innovative biological sciences, the department of Biological and Environmental Science, Faculty of Agriculture is seeking a tenure track assistant professor for researching in the area of floricultural science.
Tenure track system at Shizuoka University aims to provide promising young researchers with opportunities to promote their scientific carriers, and to nurture their talents and skills in research, leadership, management, and education. Holders of tenure track positions are expected to primarily undertake scientific research in their respective fields. However, since eventually they will also undertake teaching responsibilities, tenure track program includes duties to guide thesis projects of students. Holders of tenure track positions are promoted to tenured positions upon successful completion of tenure track program. Extremely competent individuals may be promoted to tenured positions even earlier.
Shizuoka University is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of nationality, race, gender, or religion.
* See Qualifications for further detail
||No. of Positions
Cultivation and Flowering Control
|Professor Hajime OHNO
||The successful candidate is expected to start on April 1, 2013, or on the earliest possible date after this day.
Five years from the start of employment
- Assessment of Tenure track Positions
Performance of the tenure track position holder will be evaluated on a regular basis. The assessment will be aimed at evaluating his/her capabilities in scientific research, leadership and management, acquisition of competitive research funding, and providing teaching and tutorship for Bachelor/Master course students. The assessment will take into account the original research plan, mid-term and final research goals submitted at the start of employment, and results of interviews. The assessment will be scheduled as follows:
*Successful assistant professor will be promoted to lecturer or associate professor and acquire tenure until the retirement age (currently 65 years old).
- Yearly evaluation will take place at the end of first, second, and fourth years.
- Interim assessment will be conducted within the month following expiry of two and a half years since the start of employment.
- Final assessment will be conducted within the month following expiry of four and a half years since the start of employment.
- Assistant professor will be awarded an annual salary of approximately 5.8 million yen. The remuneration package includes bonuses and prescribed allowances.
- Allowances, including those for dependents, commutation and housing will be provided in accordance with the Shizuoka University guidelines.
- Bonuses will be provided in accordance with the Shizuoka University guidelines.
- Relocation expenses will be covered in accordance with the Shizuoka University guidelines.
- Research Support
- During the first year, a start-up fund of 5 million yen and an independent research space will be provided. During the second year, research fund of 2 million yen will be provided. During the third, fourth and fifth years, research fund of 1 million yen per annum will be provided.
- The successful candidate shall conduct his research under the guidance of mentor/research advisor.
- It is a possible that a research fund may be changed by the situation of a future budget.
- Primary Responsibility
In addition to research on a special field, support for the subjects on seminar / experimental work / lecture for the students are obligated.
- Place of work
The successful candidate shall be assigned to work at Shizuoka Campus of Shizuoka University (Shizuoka City, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan).
Applicants are expected to have strong background in at least one of horticultural science fields. The previous research experience and achievements in the fields of horticultural science would be an advantage.
- Applicants must have been conducting outstanding research in the relevant fields.
- Applicants must be under 40 years old (in accordance with requirements of the Program to Disseminate Tenure-Track System, run by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology).
- Applicants must possess doctoral degree obtained within ten years as of October 31, 2012.
- Applicants must propose original and competent plan of research during the five-year period.
- Applicants must have enthusiasm for research and education in the emerging field of biological and environmental science. Approximately 70% of efforts during the period of the employment will be focused on research and 30% on education.
- Applicants whose native language is not Japanese must demonstrate their plan to reach a level of proficiency in Japanese language sufficient for teaching, within the period of employment.
Forms 1-4 must be filled in English or in Japanese and printed one-side on A4 size paper.
- Application form (curriculum vitae, past achievements, photograph) …FORM1(Word,PDF)
- Summary of previous research (two A4 size pages)…FORM2(Word,PDF)
- Copies of up to five most important scientific publications (journal articles, books)
- Plan of proposed research for five year period (two A4 size pages) …FORM3(Word,PDF)
- Ambition for teaching in Shizuoka University (one A4 size page) …FORM4(Word,PDF)
The above documents must be sent by registered mail to the mail address shown below.
Please mark the envelope "Application forms for tenure track assistant professor" using red pen. Submissions by e-mail are not acceptable. The submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants.
||Applications must reach the office by 5 p.m. October 31, 2012, Japan time.
- Document Review –mid November 2012
- Interviews – late November 2012. Only those who have passed the document review will be notified for an interview. Travel expenses will not be disbursed.
- Selection is done by considering achievements, future prospects, and enthusiasm for research and education. If several applicants have similar abilities, then female applicants will get an advantage.
|Mail address for
the application and
|Young Researchers Support Office, Shizuoka University
836 ohya Suruga-ku, Shizuoka 422-8529, Japan